Energy generation by source

Energy    Oct 11, 2021 5:39 PM

XM reported energy generation by source during September.

The entity highlighted that renewable energies accounted for 86.7% of generation in September, while non-renewable sources accounted for the remaining 13.3%, according to a press release.

Power generation was 216.15 GWh-day, 5% more than previous month (205.35GWh-day).

Hydro generation represented 98.14% in the renewable segment (183.91GWh-day), increasing 6.18% compared to previous month (173.20GWh-day). Biomass represented 1.3% or 2.43GWh-day of the renewable generation. Solar and wind power accounted for the remainder 0.57%.

Total non-renewable (fossil fuel) generation for the month of September was 28.75 GWh-day, 0.16% more compared to the previous month.

Gas was the largest contributor with 76.84% of the non-renewable resources segment, equivalent to 22.09GWh-day average; followed by coal with 19.31% or 5.55GWh-day average. Imported gas and liquids represented the remaining 3.8%.

XM’s Jaime Alejandro Zapata Uribe said that the Colombia exported a total of 180GWh in September, which corresponds to 85% of the energy exported during 2021.

“From XM, we continue with a permanent monitoring of the system variables and work with the Ministry of Mines and Energy (MinEnergia) and the other actors to guarantee the provision of the service with safety and reliability,” Zapata said.

Bottom-Line: Unconventional renewable sources still have a low participation, but it is a matter of time – and transmission – to see an increase in these metrics.

Natural gas is positioned as the second-highest source, and the country must do more to guarantee the supply of this important fuel in the medium and long term.

Our Sponsors

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

biqle