Energy generation by source

Energy    Jan 12, 2022 9:15 PM

XM reported energy generation by source during December.

The entity highlighted that renewable energies accounted for 78.5% of generation in December, while non-renewable sources accounted for the remaining 21.49%, according to a press release.

Power generation was 203.8 GWh-day, 2.8% less than previous month (209.71GWh-day).

Hydro generation represented 97.46% in the renewable segment (155.95GWh-day), decreasing 12.49% compared to previous month (178.21GWh-day). Biomass represented 1.72% or 2.75GWh-day of renewable generation. Solar and wind power accounted for the remainder 0.81%.

Total non-renewable (fossil fuel) generation for the month of December was 43.79 GWh-day, 54.18% more compared to the previous month.

Gas was the largest contributor with 54.10% of the non-renewable resources segment, equivalent to 23.69GWh-day average; followed by coal with 44.47% or 19.48GWh-day average. Imported gas and liquids represented the remaining 1.42%.

XM’s Jaime Alejandro Zapata Uribe said that the Colombia imported a total of 105.59GWh in December from Ecuador.

“From XM, we continue with a permanent monitoring of the system variables and work with the Ministry of Mines and Energy (MinEnergia) and the other actors to guarantee the provision of the service with safety and reliability,” Zapata said.

Bottom-Line: Unconventional renewable sources still have a low participation, but it is a matter of time – and transmission – to see an increase in these metrics.

Natural gas is positioned as the second-highest source, and the country must do more to guarantee the supply of this important fuel in the medium and long term.

As well, the country reported high levels of water reserves, but it was insufficient to meet local demand, creating the need to import energy, whereas a few months ago, the sector was exporting to Ecuador…

Our Sponsors

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

biqle