Energy generation by source

Energy    Aug 20, 2021 1:56 PM

XM reported energy generation by source during July.

The entity highlighted that renewable energies accounted for 85.62% of generation in July, while non-renewable sources accounted for the remaining 14.38%, according to a press release.

Power generation was 205.38 GWh-day, 2.49% above June 2021 (200.38 GWh-day).

Hydro generation represented 98.14% in the renewable segment (172.58GWh-day), increasing 1.33% compared to previous month (170.32GWh-day). Biomass represented 1.28% or 2.25GWh-day of the renewable generation. Solar and wind power accounted for the remainder 0.57%.

Total non-renewable (fossil fuel) generation for the month of July was 29.53 GWh-day, 9.44% more compared to the previous month.

Gas was the largest contributor with 78.93% of the non-renewable resources segment, equivalent to 23.31 GWh-day average; followed by coal with 19.37% or 5.72 GWh-day average. Imported gas and liquids represented the remaining 1.9%.

XM’s Jaime Alejandro Zapata Uribe said that the country recorded above historical average contributions of 108.89% in July.

“This allowed us to store energy in the main reservoirs of the National Interconnected System (SIN), closing the month with a reservoir level of 85.98% of the daily useful volume. These levels allow us to supply electricity service in the country in a safe and reliable way,” Zapata said.

Bottom-Line: Unconventional renewable sources still have a low participation, but it is a matter of time – and transmission – to see an increase in these metrics.

Natural gas is positioned as the second-highest source, and the country must do more to guarantee the supply of this important fuel in the medium and long term.

Our Sponsors

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

biqle